Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Danger, Sports!

Hi, my name is Sam, and I'm addicted to the Washington Redskins.  I've been addicted for, oh, I don't know, about twenty one years now...there was a brief time when I was born where I was addicted to a Shoppers Warehouse commercial but that's neither here nor there.

Jesus Christ, this idiot.  
Why am I writing about this?  I've made my love of the Redskins known for sometime now, I'm an addict, as I said, no one will ever doubt that.  I'm writing about this today cuz as of late, a lot of people have been coming up to me, talking football, and then saying "Why are you a Redskins fan?  They're terrible, root for a new team."

If you say that to me, you're a f****** idiot who clearly doesn't know much about football and upon hearing those words leave your mouth I instantly think "Gee, you'd fit perfectly in front of a fast moving bus".  You're the kind of "fan" that roots for the Cowboys, even though you were born in Hagerstown or Potomac.  You're just an asshole who likes to ruffle feathers with stupid, pointless jabs, misguided comments, or asshole-ian assholiness.  And I hate you for it.

Should it be that big a deal to me?  Probably not, it might be worth the gray hairs I have (At the ripe old age of 22).

Okay, back to my answer to the "Why are you still a Redskins question?", after I destroy them with harsh words, I straight up tell them it's cuz that's my hometown team.  That's how this stuff works.  Oh, you were born in Pittsburgh?  You should root for the Steelers.  Born in St. Louis?  Welcome to the Rams bandwagon.

Now, there are exceptions, say you live in New York, but your parents are from Miami and have always rooted for the Dolphins.  Free pass to root for the 'Fins.  Congrats.  That's the exception.  I dunno why  I said "exceptions".
R-Jesus

The Redskins are in my blood.  My father is a Skins fan, my uncles, my cousins, and most of my friends, or at least the ones I truly care about.

I live and die with that team, and people wanna know "Since they always suck why not jump ship?"  Well, cuz I watched the Caps go from cellar dwellers to the top, the Nats go from "also rans" to hopefully (Fingers crossed) perennial pennant winners.  Maybe it's some incredible false hope that I have that one day (Cue dramatic music), one day in February, I will stand on Pennsylvania Avenue, shoulder to shoulder with my burgundy and gold clad Brothers, as the parade winds down the street to chants of "Hail to the Redskins".

Honest to God I would weep.  So I dunno what else to say, I love my team, so back off.  Love your team.  This feels like an oddly angry post with uh, no real flow at all haha.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment