Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Plastic Battleship

Now that I've put that little public service announcement out there for everyone, I'm going to talk about something totally different.

We're one week past Memorial Day and summer is here, even though outside my window it's kind of overcast and freakin' 69 degrees.  I coulda typed "70", but "69" makes me giggle, my blog, my immature rules.

But real summer will be here soon, girls in bikinis, grills being fired up, humidity to the point where you wanna kill yourself, girls in bikinis, and getting drunk on the beach/at the pool with your friends and or family.

The pool I used to go to, or maybe not.  This was the only place
the looked close on Google so deal with it.
Now, my family used to belong to the neighborhood pool in Glenn Dale at the golf course (They call it a "Country Club" but let's be real, it's just a golf course).  Then Glenn Dale pool got closed down, maybe cuz it was a crap hole, maybe cuz no one went, or maybe because that one life guard was too hot to keep the pool open.

Let's side track and talk about her.  I didn't know her name, the only time she talked to me was probably when she would say "NO RUNNING!" and I'd speed walk instead, but I was in love.

She was tall, well, tall compared to my puny grade school body, brunette (The only non-blonde I'll ever love), and had a pierced belly button (Hot).  Below is an artist's rendition of her, apparently dressed for a Christmas party orgy?  Or she's a hooker.  Either way, I wish her the best of luck.
She left life guarding for a
more "lucrative" career.
So back on task, my pool.  To set the mood, it was your basic pool.  Varying depths, diving boards, giant toilet also known as the kiddie pool, and the classic snack stand.  The snack stand was great, it was run by the life guards, had a hard cement floor, picnic tables, and it's were we'd eat cold peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

It also held the greatest candy bar in all of North Bowie.  We're talking twenty five cent AirHeads, wax bottles, KitKats, Hershey's, Bottle Caps, and Reese's.  It was amazing.  They also had a water fountain that tasted like pure copper.

Now, as far as the actual pool goes it was great.  Coach PeeWee taught us to swim and I refused to learn how to dive.  Still haven't to this day.  The best part about the pool though was that you could bring in any toy you wanted, unlike some other pools in the area.

I mentioned the toys for a reason.  My best friend when I was a wee little pup was this kid Joel.  He was the man, only child, German, hell, his parent's even drove a Volvo, the kid was living the life.  The first baller I ever met (Anthony Nelson, @MDsOwn, is the greatest one though).

Joel also had a Dad whose job was to do something and that something translated into Joel having a bunch of bad ass army toys.  He had a toy AC-130 gunship that had working guns, missile launchers, and a cargo bay that was a show-and-tell staple in kindergarten.

He also had a fleet of plastic battleships, patrol boats, aircraft carriers, and other things that we would spend hours playing with in the pool, attacking them with splash bombs and those awesome toypedos, until that damn adult swim kicked us out for fifteen minutes.  Bastards.

So anyways, I was just feeling nostalgic so I figured I'd right about it.  There you go, my next post will be about my trip to Bremuda so until then, check out my friend Gina's blog here for some cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment