Thursday, July 26, 2012

SamWow Versus the Needle

One thing a lot of people don't know about me is that I have something my old dentist once called "White Coat Syndrome".  This basically means I'm terrified of doctors, I get nervous, jumpy, can't focus, and it's just a stupid thing that I need to get over.  I mean, I still go to doctors and stuff, but it's an ordeal.

I used to be afraid of needles, which is a very common thing apparently.  Why the hell would I have wanted some stranger stabbing around, looking for veins or something. How do you do it heroin addicts?

Seriously, tell me.  Hit me up on Twitter, @therealSamWow.  Moving right along.

So after that epic little build up, today I gave blood for the second time in my life.  The first time, I'll admit, I did it for two tickets to a Capitals game at the PhoneBooth (Also known as the Verizon Center) and a sweet Peter Bondra bobblehead.  I'm not totally proud, but it was my first Caps game, they won, and the bobblehead is pretty sweet.

So today, probably two years after I first gave blood, the Armed Services Blood Program (See the website here) came to my building for a blood drive.  I saw the big poster outside and figured this would be a great way to knock out my "Good Deed of the Day" (I also helped some tourists while I was waiting for a bus, so two good deeds) and help out some active military members across the world (Maybe, I dunno where the blood goes).  Plus, snacks, t-shirts, and other swag.

 So I walked in, signed up, went through all the preliminary stuff and then sat down for the interview and they asked me to repeat my name and date of birth.  With great, great, great confidence, I replied "Samuel David Carroll, March 14th, 1990."

The lady looked at me kinda puzzled and said "Are you sure?"  I laughed at her, cuz ya know, I've been fairly certain of that information for about twenty two years, unless my parents lied about my name and I'm really named Tug.  Sadly not true.

So anyways, she shows me the paper that the lady filled out for me and it shows that my name, according to what they read off my drivers license, my name is "David Samuel Carroll, born on March 14th, 1980".  Classic.

So after we got all that straightened out, I was good to go.  Walked into the room and started joking around with the people, talking, shooting the breeze, and telling everyone how nervous I am about needles, doctors, and all that other stuff.  Next thing I know, I look down and my own blood is running through the tubes and there's a needle in my arm.  Took it like a champion.

And seeing how all I do is talk, I talked the whole time to everyone.  Then it was all over, nothing to be scared of.  It's shockingly easy, and it's something I plan on doing a lot of in the future.  One pint of blood can save three lives, and I think that's pretty great.  Good deed done.

Oh yeah, at the end, they gave me cheesecake so I wouldn't faint or die or something.  I also got a sweet new coffee cup.  And the epic bandaging job you see below, pink wrap with a red bow.  Boom.


So that's all I have to say.  I donated blood today, I plan on doing it more, and I think everyone should do it at least once if they're medically cleared.  Links are below, and I'll be going back after September 20th if anyone wants to come with.

Armed Services Blood Program (ASBP) and then there's always American Red Cross.  Do it to save a life, or lives, and feel really good doing it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment